Why does Google have a white ribbon today?
Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Breaking the silence begins with you. Whether we want to admit it or not, face it head on or look away, some beautiful woman in your life is being abused. These are our sisters. Our mothers. Our wives. Our best friends.
The World Health Organization reveals some sobering insight:
- Recent global prevalence figures indicate that 35% of women worldwide have experienced either intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.
- On average, 30% of women who have been in a relationship report that they have experienced some form of physical or sexual violence by their partner.
- Globally, as many as 38% of murders of women are committed by an intimate partner.
- Violence can result in physical, mental, sexual, reproductive health and other health problems, and may increase vulnerability to HIV.
These are not just numbers and statistics. This is us.
There are many resources available to you that you may not be aware of. Here are just a few:
1. The Office on Women’s Health Helpline: 800.994.9662 Monday-Friday 9am – 6pm
2. MADRE (tel.) 212.627.0444, (fax) 212.675.3704